Landing a medical device sales internship in college is the most direct way to land a lucrative medical device sales role directly out of undergraduate. Unfortunately, only a handful of companies in the medical device industry offer sales internships.
There is strong interest in securing one of these internships, which begs the question: why don’t more companies expand invest in a sales internship program?
The short answer is that it takes more than a few months during the summer for someone to learn the product portfolio and gain the clinical acumen needed to close a deal or guide a surgeon in a case. After all, Associate Sales Representatives need to spend nearly two years in the role learning before they are promoted to a Sales Representative.
There are, however, ten fantastic medical device sales internships the Breaking Into Device team recommends you look into. The internships listed below will help accelerate you on your journey to secure a medical device sales role:
Top 10 Medical Device Sales Internship Roles
# Company Role(s) Location(s) 1 Stryker Trauma & Extremities Sales Internship, Orthopedic Sales Internship Nationwide 2 CONMED Sales Intern Charlotte, NC; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Houston, TX; Louisiana; Richmond, VA; South Carolina; or Tampa, FL 3 Medtronic Spine Summer Associate Rep Intern Seattle, WA; Boulder, CO; Chicago, IL; Cincinnati, OH; Gainesville, FL; Greensboro, NC; Irvine, CA; Los Angeles, CA; Miami, Florida; Minneapolis, MN; Nashville, TN; New Orleans, LA; North Haven, CT; Raleigh, NC; Austin, TX; Boston, MA 4 Zimmer Biomet Sales Administrative Intern Warsaw, IN 5 Olympus Corporation Medical Sales Training Intern Southborough, MA 6 DePuy Synthes (Johnson & Johnson) Commercial Intern Raynham, MA 7 McKesson Extended Care Sales – Summer Intern Richmond, VA 8 TZ Medical Medical Device Sales Internship Program Portland, OR 9 Pocket Nurse Medical Sales Intern Monaca, PA 10 Jigsaw Medical Sales Intern Sugar Grove, IL 11 Integrated Medical Sales Inc. Sales Intern Bolingbrook, IL
Here are the job postings that we found for each opportunity. We did not include links to these roles, since the application links vary by location and applicant cycle (eg: Summer, Spring, Fall). To find the specific job listing, do a quick Google search then apply.
Role(s): Trauma & Extremities Sales Internship, Orthopedic Sales Internship
If you’re passionate about being front and center with the latest medical technology, we want you on our team. Join Stryker and help us make healthcare better.
What We Offer
- A culture driven to achieve our mission and deliver remarkable results
- Coworkers committed to collaboration and winning the right way
- Quality products that improve the lives of our customers and patients
- Ability to discover your strengths, follow your passion and own your future career
What You Need
- Currently working on completion of Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent; we will only consider students who plan be enrolled in a degree-seeking program after the summer
- Cumulative 3.0 GPA or above; must be the case at the date of hire and also will be verified during background check in the spring
- Must be permanent resident of the U.S. or U.S. citizen
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
- Proficient on basic computer programs: Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Proven leadership and business acumen skills
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills
What You Will Do
- Shadow Sales Associates, Sales Representatives, and Operations Team Members to gain insight into all aspects of the branch; Attend and/or prepare a sales presentation
- Prepare a project segment that develops a target account list and or development of a marketing potential or strategy
- Learn selling skills, processes, and instrument use techniques by coaching/mentoring support from Sales Representatives, Sales Associates and Sales Managers
- Shadow and assist Team Member Drivers with the delivery of kits to and from account
- Assist Team Members in warehouse in assembling and breaking down instrument kits, preparing products for surgery, etc.
- Interact with various teams concerning the products
- Assist Sales and Field Operations Teams with special projects as assigned
Why We Recommend It: Stryker is a top player in the medical device industry, specifically in Orthopedics. Having the opportunity to shadow the sales team and be exposed to Stryker’s sales process early on in your career is an invaluable experience that will speak volumes on your resume.
Role: Sales InternLocation: Charlotte, NC; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Houston, TX; Louisiana; Richmond, VA; South Carolina; or Tampa, FL
We are seeking Sales Interns to join the growing Advanced Surgical Sales Team. As an Advanced Surgical Sales Intern, you will have the opportunity to observe surgeons using specialized medical devices to perform surgeries in the operating room. You will accompany Sales Representatives on field ride-alongs, gaining exposure to and experience with the sales process. Additionally, you will complete a project and final presentation to Advanced Surgical sales leadership.This is an excellent opportunity for a student seeking a robust internship within a growing medical device company!Intern Responsibilities
- Complete a sales case study and presentation, including research and hypothetical sales pitch across multiple product categories
- Research competitor product offering, market landscape, and business strategies
- Accompany Sales Representatives on product evaluations and operating room staff product trainings
- Maintain detailed information for each surgery observed
- Complete Sales Intern trainings in order to gain fundamental understanding of major product categories
This internship position requires a driven and responsible team player interested in pursuing a career in medical device sales and open to relocation nationwide. If this sounds like you, we invite you to apply for consideration!Position Requirements
- Pursuing completion of a bachelor’s or master’s degree
- Experience in a campus leadership position is highly preferred, such as Student Government, New Student Orientation, Greek Life, Athletics, Multicultural Organizations or Professional Associations
- Must be available full-time throughout the internship program (June 1 – July 30)
- Must be able to be based out of a major U.S. market for the duration of the internship program. Markets available may include: Charlotte, NC; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Houston, TX; Louisiana; Richmond, VA; South Carolina; or Tampa, FL
- The ideal candidate will also be willing and able to relocate nationwide for potential full-time opportunities following graduation
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent healthcare including medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage
- Short & long term disability plus life insurance – cost paid fully by CONMED
- Retirement Savings Plan (401K) – company match dollar for dollar up to 7% Employee stock purchase plan – allows stock purchases at discounted price. Tuition assistance for undergraduate and graduate level courses.
Why We Recommend It: CONMED is a large, growing medical device company that has a stellar reputation in the industry. This internship boasts “as an Advanced Surgical Sales Intern, you will have the opportunity to observe surgeons using specialized medical devices to perform surgeries in the operating room.” — this clinical exposure will undoubtably provide you a leg up when it comes to full-time recruiting.
Role: Spine Summer Associate Rep InternLocation: Seattle, WA; Boulder, CO; Chicago, IL; Cincinnati, OH; Gainesville, FL; Greensboro, NC; Irvine, CA; Los Angeles, CA; Miami, Florida; Minneapolis, MN; Nashville, TN; New Orleans, LA; North Haven, CT; Raleigh, NC; Austin, TX; Boston, MA
To be considered for a Summer Spine Summer Associate internship, you must meet the following basic requirements. How you meet these criteria, must be clearly indicated on your resume to be considered for a position.
- Bachelor’s degree student with a junior level class standing
- Working towards a bachelor’s degree in Sales, Business Administration, Marketing, Communications, Biomedical Engineering or related major
- A minimum 3.0 out of a 4.0 cumulative GPA
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis and does not require sponsorship in the future for an employment visa
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Participants must be able to participate full time (40 hours/week) as part of our intern cohort
Nice to Haves:
- Prior work in a field sales environment
- Relevant academic projects and/or internship experience helpful
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment
Why We Recommend It: Medtronic is a top medical device company with a plethora of portfolios, including Orthopedics. Interning in Spine will beneficial as you seek out full time roles both within Medtronic and at other top players.
Role: Sales Administrative InternLocation: Warsaw, IN
Zimmer Biomet embodies a commitment to the highest ethical standards and full compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, company policies, and industry codes. The Zimmer Biomet Code of Business Conduct and Ethics reflects our shared values and guides our daily work as well as our interactions with one another and with patients, healthcare professionals, business partners, regulators and other community stakeholders.Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Partner with departmental leaders, customers and team members to drive reporting improvements
- Execute process improvement initiatives to better understand the needs of team members and customers
- Assist with creation of dashboards for sales management review
- Organize and update pertinent systems, handbooks, policies and manuals
- Other duties, projects and assignments as assigned
Expected Areas of Competence
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Highly motivated, self-starter willing to meet strict deadlines and time constraints
- Ability to communicate both orally and in written form to multiple departments and levels of the organization.
- Advanced computer skills (e. g. Microsoft Office Suite)
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Currently attending college with a junior status majoring in Accounting, Finance, Business or other related field
- Up to 15%
Why We Recommend It: Although this internship description is broad, interning in a sales capacity at Zimmer Biomet — a leader in the Orthopedics medical devices market — is advantageous for a future career in medical device sales. Excelling as an intern at Zimmer Biomet can make a strong case for you to hit the ground running as an Associate Sales Representative post graduation.
Role: Medical Sales Training InternLocation: Southborough, MA
Are you looking for a company that cares about people’s lives and health, including yours? At Olympus, we help make people’s lives healthier, safer and more fulfilling, every day. Let’s inspire healthier lives, together. We are looking for a Professional Training intern to join our Sales Training team in our Southborough, MA office.
This is a full-time opportunity involving 40 hours per week. Experiences that grow you—and your career. As an intern at Olympus, you will contribute to our mission by helping your department execute medical device training for our sales representatives.
Some potential projects you may contribute to include:
- Preparing and editing training materials for new hires and new product launches
- Creating training content for sales representatives
- Refreshing training content to reflect current Olympus product portfolio and competitive landscape
- Assisting in the adoption of virtual platforms that support training efforts and initiatives
- Building and monitoring training modules and completions in our Learning Management System (LMS) and other eLearning platforms
- Coordinating logistics and administration of training sessions
A Typical Day
- Collaborating with your supervisor and Olympus teams to complete role-related assignments and projects.
- Leading projects to completion during the internship program.
- Actively engaging in and adding value to meetings and discussions.
Job Requirements Required Qualifications
- Must be enrolled in a full time undergraduate or graduate degree program at an accredited 4-year institution.
- Must complete sophomore year before the internship begins and graduate after the internship ends.
- Preferred fields of study include Business Management, Business Administration, Education, Communications, Life Sciences, Biology, pre-med, or related major.
- Must possess excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Must be proficient and have practical knowledge in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Must be able to work well within a team and independently at times with limited guidance.
- Must be able to interpret and apply new information.
- Must not now or in the future require immigration-related sponsorship.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-driven environment.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize/execute multiple concurrent tasks.
- Strong, professional communication skills.
- Skilled in presentation development and public speaking.
- General curiosity and a desire to learn new material.
Why We Recommend It: Olympus Corporation holds roughly 70% market share in the endoscope market (≈ $2.5B). If you are interested in pursuing a medical device sales career in endoscopy, this internship program is the creme de la creme. Although this particular internship focuses on sales training rather than gaining field experience, your foot will be in the door to facilitate a smooth transition to the sales team post-graduation.
Role: Commercial InternLocation: Raynham, MA
DePuy Synthes, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices sector is recruiting for a number of summer internship positions. DePuy Synthes provides the most comprehensive orthopedics product portfolios in the world. With specialties that include trauma, craniomaxillofacial, joint reconstruction, sports medicine, spinal surgery, we are designed to advance patient care while delivering clinical and economic value to healthcare systems worldwide.
Our interns play an important role in enhancing our business. We plan to hire multiple positions across multiple specialties and departments. Our program will provide you with business problems to tackle, coaching, mentoring and networking opportunities. You will work on projects that improve your leadership and professional skills while learning the orthopedics business.
About Our Internships
- Assignment area and work-site location will be matched during the application process.
- Housing assistance if offered if the position is on-site and you live more than 50 miles from location.
- Brand marketing supporting current products in market or upstream global strategic marketing supporting product innovation/commercialization activities.
Digital Education/Learning Design
- Supports educating and developing new and existing field sales consultants as well as external healthcare providers.
- Supports field sales enablement through Analytics and Data Discovery for end to end business operations including Sales Performance Analytics, Segmentation and Targeting, Agile PMO support, Inventory/Field Asset Optimization, Deliver operations and Compensation.
- Supports the overall commercial organization by providing primary/secondary research, forecasting, and analytics support to generate business insights of the external markets.
Digital, Analytics & Competitive Intelligence
- Supports all orthopedic platform areas with analytical and digital expertise visualization, data blending, advanced analytics.
- Business (Marketing, Digital, Management, Finance, etc.)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Education/Behavior Science
Other related field Responsibilities
- Build stakeholder network within and outside of assigned department
- Complete projects, (that vary by function), independently and/or as part of a team, that deal with strategic business issues
- Present final project(s) to key stakeholders within department
- Legally authorized to work in the US and must not require sponsorship for employment visa status now or in the future (ex. H1-B, F-1)
- Currently pursuing a Bachelors or Masters degree, completing minimum undergraduate sophomore year prior to internship start date.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and leadership skills
- Ability to balance multiple projects while delivering results
- Self-starter who can work independently and contribute to team goals
- Proven leadership/participation with campus programs and/or service programs is desired.
Why We Recommend It: DePuy Synthes is one of the largest and most respected medical device companies, particularly in the Orthopedics segment. This internship is not explicitly within sales; however, the Commercial Operations, Marketing, and Business Insights internship speciality areas focus on sales operations. Landing this internship would position you well to transition to an Associate Sales Representative role internally after graduation.
Role: Extended Care Sales – Summer InternLocation: Richmond, VA
McKesson’s Intern program provides raising seniors with an opportunity to receive real world work experience in the healthcare industry. Interns will work hands-on in a dynamic, fast-paced, sales environment and will learn the basic competencies of a healthcare sales representative and aid in the sales process.The Extended Care Inside Sales Intern(s) will be responsible for engaging in sales and department functions such as: working on meaningful department initiatives, prospecting dormant customers, participating in medical device in-services, conducting marketing campaigns and assist in other day-to-day Inside Sales business development activities.This is a great opportunity for rising seniors to learn about the Extended Care industry, learn about healthcare equipment and supplies and engage with customers and learn about the healthcare supply chain.Intern Program Details
- Paid Internship
- Full time / 10 weeks
- Positions will reside in Richmond, VA
- No company sponsored housing, relocation, student visa or Green Card assistance
- The internship program also provides networking, access to executives, structured performance & coaching
- Training provided from vendors, subject matter experts, and industry leaders
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
- Conduct research on prospective clients
- Executing customer contact campaigns focused on targeted initiatives
- Partnering with inside sales managers and on special projects
- Working in Salesforce.com and executing marketing and sales campaigns
- General office tasks and business development activities
- Enrolled as a full-time student at the time of the internship, at the Undergraduate or Graduate level
- Must have completed a minimum of 75 credit hours by the start of the internship
- Must be a rising senior
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Preferred Majors: Business, Advertising, Marketing or Communications
- Minimum 3.0 GPA preferred
- Familiar with Microsoft Office
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
Why We Recommend It: McKesson is a well-respected name in the medical supplies industry. Although you may not be selling capital equipment or implants at McKesson, this internship offers fantastic exposure to the medical supplies industry sales process and can serve as a springboard to other medical device sales roles. Learning how to complete in-services during your internship will prove valuable to future employers.
Role: Medical Device Sales Internship ProgramLocation: Portland, OR
Would you like to have the potential opportunity for future employment with a medical device company? TZ Medical is a privately-held business based in Portland, Oregon. We pride ourselves on strong company culture and creating an enjoyable workplace where everyone is valued and appreciated. Last month, TZ was notified that we made the 100 Best Companies to Work for in Oregon. We’ve made the 100 Best Companies to Work for in Oregon for three consecutive years.
TZ Medical is looking to add team members who will help us continue this tradition. We offer a paid fall sales internship, allowing the potential for future employment in our sales department. During the internship, you will learn the ins and outs of our sales process, account management, and much more!
Why We Recommend It: TZ Medical is a smaller medical device manufacturing company hailing from Portland, OR. The sales internship program at TZ Medical offers a unique opportunity to gain exposure to an array of medical device products at the beginning of your sales career. This experience will situate you exceptionally well.
Role: Medical Sales InternLocation: Monaca, PA
As a leading manufacturer and distributor of medical supplies and equipment for healthcare simulation and education, Pocket Nurse provides solutions and services that create hands-on learning experiences for the next generation of healthcare professionals. Our small business philosophy is, Use your best judgement every day. Not only do we give team members the guidance and tools to succeed, we give them autonomy to do their best for the company to succeed.
The Sales Intern is responsible to support Pocket Nurse’s day-to-day Sales efforts. This internship provides the opportunity to develop selling skills and learn all phases of the sales process by working directly with the team to serve our customers and generate sales. The focus of this position is working with and through others, building and maintaining relationships, and working closely within established guidelines. Effective communication with many different people is key along with the ability to motivate others and being aware of and responsive to their needs. The details of the job need to be handled quickly, correctly and efficiently to maintain and grow relationships.
Key Responsibilities and other duties as assigned
- Collaborates with the Sales team to provide support with lead generation, call campaigns, sales pipeline work, and conversion on numerous new and existing sales channels and projects.
- Supports sales development through business planning, quoting and contracting efforts.
- Provides proposal pricing, contract and sales operations support to field sales development while developing acumen of internal Finance, Legal and Operations processes.
- Researches and vets new opportunities for Sales and Marketing teams including grant searches.
- Conducts discovery conversations utilizing call guides to qualify potential customers.
- Works with the Sales team to create PowerPoint presentations.
- Utilizes the ERP system and other tools for accurate and detailed data capture and metrics and to recode and classify customer records.
- Assists the Sales Manager in tracking and meeting marketing, sales and revenue objectives.
- Conducts marketing analysis on sales trends to target marketing efforts.
- Assists marketing with social media content including blog posts and white papers.
- Collaborates with marketing on the development of sales-related material (flyers, emails, etc.).
- Supports marketing efforts through product demonstrations at trade shows and regional events.
- Assists in trade show and event preparation and sales follow-up.
- Works with the VP of Sales Operations to analyze sales data on competition and provides targeting leads to the Sales team.
- Works with the VP of Sales Operations to identify and establish new professional affiliations in local and global markets (i.e., San Diego Business Associations, California Business Association, Medical Associations and Clinical Simulation Associations).
- Maintains confidentiality of all records, products, demographic information or any information that is specific to the planning, development and operation of Pocket Nurse.
- Maintains excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Up to 5% local travel based on identified tradeshows and customer site visits.
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in an undergraduate Business, Economics or Communications related program with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Able to provide a copy of college transcripts upon request.
- Available for 40 hours/week during Summer internships and 20 hours/week during Fall and Spring Semester internships.
Skills and Experience
- Prior internship, part-time employment, or academic project experience in a corporate environment.
- Lead generation, cold calling or campaign generation experience preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Highly motivated self-starter with strong leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including verbal, written and presentation.
- Strong problem solving skills, critical thinking and analytical capabilities.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
Why We Recommend It: Pocket Nurse’s Medical Sales Internship provides the distinctive opportunity for you to develop your selling skills by working directly with the sales group. Furthermore, possible internship projects include proposal pricing, contract and sales operations support to field sales development which is a unique, valuable skillset to possess early on in your career. Most applicants applying to full-time associate roles have little exposure to this part of the business; therefore, the skillsets you can develop in this internship could offer you a competitive edge as progress throughout your career.
Role: Sales InternLocation: Sugar Grove, IL
As an Intern at Jigsaw Medical, you will be seizing a wonderful advancement in professional sales development by assisting our experienced sales team by generating leads, maintaining customer relationships, and making sales to United States hospitals and home health agencies. This paid internship will strengthen your sales skillset through experiential learning and being part of a driven team that is dedicated to bringing new healthcare solutions to the table.
What You Will Learn
- Effective and innovative strategies to successfully communicate with clients to discuss and close business deals
- The sales process for medical devices
- How to successfully work independently as well as on a team.
- See how a business operates day-to-day and assist with these operations.
- Become familiar with using QuickBooks, our CRM, and other business technology
- You will have an opportunity to learn, network, and work closely with our inside sales team including our Vice President of Sales. Some of our sales professionals have over 25 years of experience in the medical sales industry.
Responsibilities and Duties
- A large part of the job will be assisting our sales team with their sales, daily calls into new and existing accounts
- You will be expected to take detailed notes on the calls that you make.
- Follow-up calls and emails to assist in closing accounts
- You may occasionally be asked to assist in non-sales related tasks around the office and our attached distribution center.
- Candidate must be able to work a minimum of 16 hours a week: M-F between 8am-5pm. We typically run a morning shift (8am-12pm) and an afternoon shift (12pm-4pm).
- Intern must be a Sophomore, Junior, or Senior in an Associate’s or Undergraduate Program.
- Detail-oriented, reliable, and coachable
- Energetic personality with a desire to compete
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work well on a team
- Must be familiar with Microsoft Office
Why We Recommend It: Jigsaw Medical’s product lines are often utilized in Radiology, Ultrasound, IR, Surgery, and other procedural departments. Founded in 2014, Jigsaw Medical is still relatively small, but is rapidly expanding. As a result, interning in it’s medical device sales department will allow you to learn, network, and work closely with more experienced representatives.
We hope this list of internships helps you dive head-first into the world of medical device sales. If you are interested in exploring more resources on how to break into medical device sales, view our All-In Course or download our Company Guides. Our team looks forward to supporting you on your journey. Feel free to reach out to us if we can help you out on the way.